Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 06:25:44 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Andrew.Hodgkins@hurlburt.af.mil, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed makewhatis perl script fix

In message <3A864675.3A752582@urx.com>, Kent Stewart writes:

> Blaz Zupan wrote:
> >
> > > :Actually, I don't think it fixed everything. There have been ports
> > > :that also had problems with piping to tar and broken pipes. It
> > > :wouldn't surprise me if the makewhatis problem was only a little piece
> > > :of what is broken.
> > > :
> > > :Kent
> > >
> > >     makewhatis is just makewhatis... it has nothing to do with tar.
> > >
> > >     When you tar something up, tar writes full blocks.  But when you unta
> > >     something the actual end of the archive may occur in the middle of a
> > >     block.  tar will close the input descriptor 'early' in this case,
> > >     potentially before gunzip or uncompress manage to write the last bloc
> > >     of zeros.
> >
> > I also don't believe that this is the real fix - there is something fishy
> > going on in stable. I just upgraded all of our servers from 4.2-RELEASE to
> > 4.2-STABLE and I see the following messages upon installing *any* package:
> >
> > /home/blaz# pkg_add gmake-3.79.1.tgz
> >
> > gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
> > tar: child returned status 1
> /home/blaz#
> >
> > The package actually appears to install and work fine. I also noticed simil
> ar
> > messages from gzip during "make" on a port, but again the port built and
> > installed fine after that.
> >
> > So no, your makewhatis patch only appears to be a bandaid, but there is
> > something going on deeper (possibly in the kernel) that was not there in
> > 4.2-RELEASE.
>
> Were you using ssh to login on to the computers when you were doing the
> package/port work? That seems to be the common thread from my end. At
> least, the broken pipes didn't start occuring until the version of
> Openssh was updated. If I telnet and do my work no problem; however, if
> I use ssh, then I see broken pipes.

Could it be some interaction between -STABLE and OpenSSH 2.3.0?  I
installed OpenSSH 2.3.0 on some 4.2-RELEASE systems, including the
src/secure bits, and have had no broken pipes problems when using ssh.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC