Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 12:42:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus.nuke.net>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vidcontrol under 2.2.2

In reply:
> >got 2.2.2 in...
> >
> >vidcontrol says "device not configured" when attempting to change
> >console dimensions....
>
> (Um, please be explicit about the model of your video card and the
> video mode which you are attempting to change to.)

Cirrus Logic, 1534...

> It is probably either your video card is not VGA (this is unlikely
> nowadays), or...

not the case.

> The mode parameter table in your VGA card's ROM is not organized the
> way the console driver expects. There are unfortunately such cards out
> there.  You can still use other functions of the console driver (such
> as mouse pointer), but can not change video modes. (X is OK, in case
> you are wondering :-)

never had a problem before...  1.1.5.1-RELEASE through 2.1.x-RELEASE

> To verify if this is the case with your card, boot the system with the
> "-v" option at the "Boot:" prompt and check the output from the
> `dmesg' command afterwards. You will see "sc0: VGA registers upon
> power-up" followed by 64 bytes of hex dump.  If you don't see another
> hex dump headed "sc0: VGA registers for mode:xx", the console driver
> found the mode parameter table of your VGA ROM strange and decided not
> to use it.

if this is new, i suggest it be trashed or the old code #ifdef'ed in...
nothing ticks me off more than someone messing with my x and y
settings...  i had no problems before i upgraded to 2.2.2, if it ain't
broked, don't muck with it!

in the mean time, please remove the Cirrus Logic cards from the kernel
compat video card list in the advertising...

> Kazu
>
> PS: You will see "Invalid argument" error, if you have not loaded an
> appropriate font set for the new video mode. You need to explicitly
> load font sets other than the 16 line font (which is the built-in
> default of the VGA card).

[from ~/.login]
/usr/sbin/vidcontrol -f 8x8 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/cp437-thin-8x8.fnt
/usr/sbin/vidcontrol -f 8x14 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/cp437-8x14.fnt
/usr/sbin/vidcontrol -f 8x16 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/cp437-thin-8x16.fnt
/usr/sbin/vidcontrol VGA_80x60

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or