Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/27887: ipfw 'backup' option proposal

The following reply was made to PR bin/27887; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 02:26:19 -0500

 On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 10:45:23AM +0400, avn@any.ru wrote:

 > 	Usage of ipfw on remote systems is often dangerous, and handbook
 > 	explicitly warns about this. IMO it can be useful to have a 'backup'
 > 	option to ipfw, which would restore previous ruleset in case that
 > 	user locked himself out. It saves the ruleset, performs requested
 > 	changes to ipfw and asks a user if he is still on-line. In case of
 > 	disconnection, timeout of 15 seconds, or signal delivery, it restores
 > 	previous ruleset. As for now, AFAIK, there is no interface to introduce
 > 	dynamic rules directly, so it restores only static ruleset, and does
 > 	not restore pipes too. But, it should be enough in most cases to
 > 	allow user get back again.

 potential committers: don't commit this. I have a much more generic (atomic
 changing of rulesets, recursive inclusing of rulesets) implementation that I
 might finish one of these days...

 in any case, doing this in ipfw(8) doesn't even seem like the right place
 to pull this off..

 --
 Bill Fumerola - security yahoo         / Yahoo! inc.
               - fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org