Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 16:12:08 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman.

Brett Glass, quite obviously, has very strong opinions on Stallman and
the GPL.  He is welcome to promote his positions in any forum that will
accept him.  In fact, I strongly support his right to do so (and my own
right to skip past his messages, when I've had enough of them :-).

OTOH, I have NO interest in having Brett act as any sort of "official"
spokesperson for FreeBSD in particular or BSD in general.  And, reading
the recent traffic on this list, it appears that I am far from alone in
this position.

Any "official" spokesman for FreeBSD needs to have a "centrist" position
on most issues, a tolerance for diversity, the ability to compromise on
occasion, and strong technical credentials (e.g., as a committer or some
other form of substantial contributor to FreeBSD).

Then, with the center well covered, folks like Brett can push their own
positions.  If I don't agree with Brett's position on an issue, I can
simply shrug and say "That's Brett's opinion".  In contrast, if Brett
were to become an official spokesperson, I would have a much harder time
supporting FreeBSD.

FWIW, my own position is that long-term FreeBSD's strengths lie in its
commitment to good engineering, "best practice", etc.  The Linux folks
can adopt a routine here or there, but until they understand the need
to have clean code and organization throughout, their systems will not
be as robust or maintainable as the BSDs are.

As an example of what I'm discussing, consider the relationship between
installed files and the underlying source code.  In FreeBSD, a fairly
small number of rules can be used to find the source code for any given
file on the system (e.g., /bin/foo is built from /usr/src/bin/foo, using
/usr/obj/usr/src/bin/foo along the way).  I asked my Linuxish friends
about how the Linux source tree does this sort of thing.  Well, it seems
that each Linux variant does it differently, and none of them are nearly
as well organized as FreeBSD...

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841