Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:26:46 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith=20Spencer?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

Hi Josh,
You need to
a) add this line to your Kernel file and recompile &
reboot
options   NETGRAPH

also make sure pseudo-device   tun 4

b)The ADSL machine is the gateway
so...gateway_enable="YES" in rc.conf
You need 2 NIcs in your machine (if you have an
external modem) 1 to the lan the other to the modem
e.g. fxp0 to the lan and de0to adsl modem.
In rc.conf ensure..
1) interfaces="lo0 tun0 fxp0 de0"   (or such)
2) DO NOT give the de0 NIC an IP it is only for
transport You do this in ppp.conf (see later)
in rc.conf do...
ifconfig_de0=up
If you don't add this rc.conf line it wont work!
3) ppp.conf needs to be configured properly (see the
docs)
a line or 2  like ...
 ifaddr  167.108.9.3 167.108.9.1 255.255.255.0
0.0.0.0
 add hisaddr
 will add the routes you need fore the LAN

4) fire it up and keep fingers crossed.
Keith

Saturday 23 February Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 02:22:06PM -0600, dwhuff
> wrote:
> > > Here is what I'm trying to do. Please point me
> in the right direction.
> > >
> > > Configure my FreeBSD box to connect to my ISP
> (which uses PPPoE) so the
> > > Internal LAN can use the BSD box as a gateway. I
> already know what the
> > > static IP, Sub and GW are.
> > >
> > > I had this working when I was using
> Charter@Home's Cable Internet. Now that
> > > I have switched to DSL I'm not sure how to
> configure the BSD box since PPPoE
> > > is in the mix.
> > >
> > > As far as I know all PPPoE does is log into a
> server, grab the IP info then
> > > configure the Router/Server.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > >
> > > Huff
> >
> > I would recommend the excellent section of the
> handbook that gives
> > step by step setup instructions for PPPoE.
> >
> > www.freebsd.org/handbook
> >
> > Josh
>
> Also check out this article:
>         http://www.daemonnews.org/200101/pppoe.html
>
> Austin
> --
> Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite
> your own teeth.
> 		-- Alan Watts

> the message

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.