Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:39:51 +0300
From:      Andrew <perl@ukrpost.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: GPL, BSD, Artistic license

Hello Jeremy.

Tuesday, July 2, 2002, 8:39:45 AM, you wrote:

>>    Can  anyone  explain  me some points of GPL. What if I develop
>> application that doesn't use any GPL/LGPL libraries. I want to make
>> it available  under  GPL.  The  software  package is fully functional and

JCR> Why?

  Well,  since  I  use  hundreds  of  free  packages I want to make my
software available for other as well. At the time I don't want someone
to  steal  it. As far as I understand, if the software is GPL'd no one
can distribute modifications without notice about my authorship and no
one  can distribute  it non-GPL'd, not providing [modified] sources. I
understand    that    someone   can  extend  my  software  and compete
with  me  but  they  will  only have success if their software will be
better  then mine. That's ok, *NIX community only wins from that.
  You    may   ask   me   why   not  to make it completely free. Well,
receiving   some   money   for   the   software  I'll  be able to keep
working on it, port it to Net/OpenBSD, may be even Linux.
  Using  BSDL  for  "Lite"  package  and providing "Pro" package under
another  license seems to be ok. However in this case some big company
with  well-known  brand  can modify my software and their modification
will  be worse then original. But they'll have more success because of
it's brand and striking box.
  <OT>
  By   the   way,  I heard on Zdnet that micro$oft uses some code from
  FreeBSD  in  their   w2k.  How did they do that? I've never seen BSD
  copyright notice in w2k. I thought BSDL applies to modified software
  even if it's distributed in binary forms.
  </OT>

JCR> If you own the copyright, then you may choose to provide your commercial
JCR> software.
  The  main question is if it's ok to provide two packages of the same
software,   one   GPL'd  and other on commercial basis. I didn't found
that in GPL text.

JCR> Back to Andrew: Maybe consider using a short and simple license that is
JCR> easy-to-understand and encourages others to want to use and help develop
JCR> your code.
  That seems to be best solution, although I'm not lawyer and can make
some bugs in my license.
  Another  (probably  stupid) question. Is GPL text copyrighted? Can I
take  GPL  text, change couple lines there and say that this is my own
ANDYLICENSE?

--
Yours sincerely,
 Andrew                          mailto:perl@ukrpost.net