Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:43:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      gary <gary@gary.wa5qjh.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB HP printer

ALL:
I need helpusing a new USB HP656C deskjet. I done my darndest to RTFM but
can't find anything for this particular woe.
 I'm running release 4.1 on a Compaq Presario. I have two devices plugged
into the USB, the printer and a USB cuecat. See the attachment USBNotes for
results of dmesg, usbdevs -v, ls -CF /dev/u*.
 The problem; I can't find what device to print to such as ls >/dev/ulpt0
which hangs indefinitly as well as "ls /dev/unlpt0". If I "ls /dev/ulpt1",
it says "device not configured". Without knowing which device to print to i
can't set up spooling etc.
 The only other USB device i have is a :Cuecat which i plugged in to try.
Notice in the attachment USBNotes that plugging it in told me what device to
use, /dev/kbd1. Worked great too! Ironically, when i plugged the cuecat in
under windoze 98, windoze didn't seem to recognize it, but the printer works
good after loading in the drivers CD.
 Please respond directly by reply as I'm not on the FreeBSD-Questions
mailing list or the newsgroups. I sure could use some help with this. My
sons and My Dad are all trying to get me to use Micro$loth but I refuse.

--
___
Gary B. Corell