Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:39:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

In article <199709241008.DAA06292.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@dog.farm.org> you write:
>the lookups occur only if .rhosts is present.  So, it's in
>/usr/src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c:iruserok() or deeper (_not_ ruserok() -
>this one tests by IP address).

Okay, I tried this here, as well:

	garth:
		running 2.2-GAMMA
		No local nameserver
		/etc/hosts has LAN hosts, and localhost, and nothing else
		/etc/host.conf has "hosts" followed by "bind"
		/etc/hosts.equiv has "#kithrup.com"
		~sef/.rhosts has "kithrup.com" and "kithrup"
		/etc/resolv.conf has "domain kithrup.com", and my ISP as
			nameservers

	kithrup:
		doesn't matter, I think

I started up two tcpdump's on garth (one for lo0, and one for "host garth
and not port login and not port klogin" on de0).

Then, from kithrup, I did:

	rlogin -KL8 garth

No traffic from either tcpdump.

I verified that iruserok() is the same for -current and garth's version.

So I'm afraid I still can't reproduce it, although I am trying.  Any
suggestions to changes to make to my setup (other than installing a newer
version of the OS :))?