Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:16:05 -0600
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jeremy@external.org>
To:        Richard Browne <richb@pobox.com.au>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports, shared libraries, dependencies and versions

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 03:23:57PM +1100, Richard Browne wrote:
> > > releases, for example, will be binary compatible. Wouldn't it make sense
> > > then for FreeBSD ports to depend on 'gtk-1.2.*'?
> >
> > Don't confuse the naming convention used for ports & packages with the
> naming
> > convention used for shared libraries.  You *could* upgrade to 'gtk-1.2.9'
> > because the actual dependancy is on "gtk12.2".  You would simply:
> >
> > # cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkit/gtk12
> > # make clean (if you didn't clean from last time)
> > # make
> > # pkg_delete gtk-1.2.8 (this way you've made sure the new version compiles
> first)
> > # make install
> >

> Ok, I see. Packages don't depend on 'gtk-1.2.8'. But hang on, that's what
> the ports system says (see http://www.freebsd.org/ports/gnome.html for

gtk-1.2.8 just happens to be the current version of the Port.

> example). How can I find out what the actual dependencies are then?

You can peek at the Makefile for a particular Port.  It's the *_DEPENDS
macros that define what the Port depends on.  This is how the ports system
handles automatically installing dependancies.

> > Your pkg_delete will complain (you may have to force it), but you can
> ignore
> > the warnings.
>
> If I have to force it and ignore warnings.. isn't that a blow to user
> friendliness? Granted, the main thing is that it can hold together and
> handle updates, but it's not clear to a new user. How do I know if it's
> valid to use pkg_delete and ignore warnings?

A new user isn't likely to be waiting for the latest minor upgrade to some
random graphics toolkit.  They're more likely to notice when GNOME itself
has a new release, and they can install it (and all it's newer dependancies)
the same way the did the first time.

You could also skip the pkg_delete. You'd have two registered versions of
GTK (though only one actually installed).  Everything would work but you'd
have a cluttered /var/db/pkg/.