Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:26:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        jch@xmission.com
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd, dao, atapi oh my

On 21 Mär, Jason Hill wrote:
> I'm running 4.5-RELEASE and would like to burn an audio cd in DAO
> mode (HP8110 ATAPI).  I tried to cvsup to 5.0-CURRENT to use the new
> burncd w/DAO support, but I received ioctl errors just before burning.
> Checking through the mailing archives, I can't seem to find any recent
> messages about this.
>
> Is there any way of burning in DAO mode w/an ATAPI CD-RW under FreeBSD 4.5?

cvsup to -stable, there's ATAPI support at the same level as -current
now.

> A couple off topic questions...
>
> 1. Why doesn't FreeBSD support ATAPI/CAM layer (as Net/OpenBSD appear to)
> so that I could use cdrecord instead of burncd?

 - There's a cdrecord port which uses the ATAPI layer, search the
   archives for "Søren" and "cdrecord". There should be a message from
   this week.
 - There are patches floating around now, which connect the ATAPI layer to
   the CAM layer (for -current). It's mentioned in the same thread as
   the ATAPI version of cdrecord.

> 2. Why is burncd tied so closely to the kernel and not released as a port?
> If burncd has a new feature, you have to upgrade the kernel to use it --
> that seems crazy to me.

It's the other way around. :-) The kernel gets a new feature and burncd
catches up with it.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!