Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:36:17 -0700
From:      "David Christensen" <davidch@broadcom.com>
To:        "Gleb Smirnoff" <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        brad@openbsd.org, oleg@FreeBSD.org, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: bge(4) one packet wedge

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:53:49PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> D> This "lost interrupt" type of problem is addressed by the=20
> use of the
> D> status_tag=20
> D> field in the status block.  (Listed as bge_rsvd0 in the=20
> bge_status_block
> D> structure).=20
> D> Everytime the status block is updated a new tag value is=20
> written to the
> D> status block. =20
> D> When the ISR starts the driver should record the=20
> status_tag value.  At
> D> the end
> D> of the ISR, the driver should compare the current=20
> status_tag value is
> D> the status
> D> block with the value recorded on entry to the ISR.  If the=20
> values are
> D> the same
> D> then no additional status block updates have occurred so=20
> there shouldn't
> D> be
> D> any packets hanging around.  If the values are different=20
> then additional
> D> packets
> D> or completions are waiting around so the ISR should loop=20
> around again.
> D> At the=20
> D> end of the ISR the driver will write the status_tag value it last
> D> handled to a
> D> mailbox register, letting the hardware know the last=20
> status block update
> D> handled.
> D> If necessary the hardware will generate a new interrupt=20
> and start the
> D> process over
> D> again.
> D>=20
> D> This entire process should be included in the Linux=20
> driver, I don't see
> D> it being
> D> used in the bge driver (bge_intr()).
>=20
> In the Linux driver for the not tag capable controllers there=20
> is a following
> comment and code:
>=20
>         /* In INTx mode, it is possible for the interrupt to arrive at
>          * the CPU before the status block posted prior to=20
> the interrupt.
>          * Reading the PCI State register will confirm whether the
>          * interrupt is ours and will flush the status block.
>          */
>         if ((sblk->status & SD_STATUS_UPDATED) ||
>             !(tr32(TG3PCI_PCISTATE) & PCISTATE_INT_NOT_ACTIVE)) {
>=20
> So, I tried to add  (void)pci_read_config(sc->bge_dev,=20
> BGE_PCI_PCISTATE, 4)
> to the bge_intr(). Unfortunately, this didn't help.
>=20

This fix is really designed to handle bridges that haven't posted the
status
block memory write ahead of the PCI interrupt and I wouldn't expect it
to=20
resolve the reported problem.  A better solution would be to try and
minimize the time between the last status block check and the time the
interrupt is re-enabled.  Unfortunately I don't think the problem can be
completely eliminated with even the most creative coding solutions but
I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Dave