Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:56:32 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Erik Paulsen =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sk=E5lerud?= <erik@pentadon.com>
Cc:        gunnar.flygt@sr.se, ponomarew@oberon.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error making new kernel

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:35:06 +0100 Erik Paulsen Skålerud
<erik@pentadon.com> alleged:

> This is a pretty frequent question that I see alot of on the lists and
> in different FreeBSD-channels on IRC.

Then it should *obviously* be in a FAQ, shouldn't it?

> Perhaps someone should implent some kind of kernel-config checker that
> sees over the config and tells the user if something important is
> missing (like scsbus and da if you're going to use umass).
> I am sure that there are several other things it could check aswell.

We already have such a tool, it's called 'make'.  The compiler has
provided a meaningful message.  I'm astonished at how upset some people
get at compiler "error" messages, I see them hundreds of times every day.

Rather than give people another crutch to keep them from learning the
system (aka the Linux X11 configuration tool) we should invest our time in
teaching people to read the compiler messages and make learned
corrections.

This lesson is so old it's found in ancient apocryphal documents.  You
know, the 'teach a man to fish vs. give a man a fish' lesson?  ;^)

> I'd love to make one myself, the only problem is that I don't know
> enough about shell-scripting to do this.

Phew!  Now you don't have to.  ;^)

Wes Peters                                                   Softweyr LLC
wes@softweyr.com                                     http://softweyr.com/