Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:43:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
To:        jlwest@tseinc.com (Jay L. West)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dynamic IP assignment

Hello,

Jay L. West wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to dynamically assign ip addresses on a dial-in iijppp
> server. The mechanism coded into iijppp seems to allow a.b.c.d/e but unless
> I'm missing something there's no way to assign them from a range (say...
> 192.217.203.40 up to 192.217.203.69). I think this could be accomplished
> through scripts but there must be a better method. I was looking into DHCP,
> but I don't know if iijppp could look to a DHCP server for addresses (via
> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf?).

Note:  At one time I tried to run a iijppp dialup server with 16 ports.  My
load avg stayed above 2 constantly!  I went to the kernel ppp and the machine
ran smooth...  This was on a 486DX2-66 with 8 megs.  I can tell you
how to do the kernel ppp dynamic but really have no idea on the iijppp.
If you need the script just let me know.

> Any help or ideas are appreciated!
>
> Jay West

Gary

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF) |    I speak only for myself and "maybe" my company
gclarkii@GBData.COM     |          Member of the FreeBSD Doc Team