Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:36:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   "sbsize" path for testing!!

   Per request of users and the security officer, I've backported the
changes from 4.0/5.0 which allow administrative control over the socket
resources a user can allocate.  I need testers to get this done before
3.5-RELEASE, as my crash-box is -CURRENT.  I think I have caught all of
the problematic parts of the code and merged things correctly, so I do
not _expect_ anything to go wrong.
   The big problem is that people are using the DoS (indeed, it has just
been reposted on BugTraq for some unknown reason), and something must be
done to prevent a user from crashing the system like that.  Changing the
limit is as easy as modifying /etc/login.conf, and a default value should
be in place.  I don't know what the default value should be, so I invite
estimates on how much socket buffer space a user really needs.
   The patch, which will necessitate both a make world and new
kernel/modules build, is located at:
	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~green/sbsize_etc.RELENG_3.patch
In addition to the sbsize change, there's a relatively minor change
to struct socket which does break binary compatibility of kernel
modules if they use that member (so_cred).  Anything groveling in
the kernel memory, like pidentd, would need to be recompiled/modified,
but pidentd itself (now uses the proper interface to get the data it needs.
   So, anyone who can, test it out and report back.  I need to get this
done within the week or so :)