Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:14:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos)
Cc:        ulf@Gatekeeper.Alameda.net, black@zen.cypher.net, rls@mail.id.net, paul@mu.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Archive Tape Autochanger

Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> I'm wondering what experiences in general people have had with the CSC
> Archive DAT changer.  For $349, it seem like a pretty good deal; I'm
> just wondering why they're dumping them at this price?  Is it because of
> the new DDS3 drives just on the market, or is there some horrible
> reliability problem with the driver?

	i bought an archive anaconda 1.3GB QIC tape drive
	from them 2 years ago.  works great.
	CSC is a clearing house of technology that the big-names
	want to be rid of.  if you can use trailing-edge
	technology, the price savings are significant.
	you may not be able to find tapes at some point
	in the future.  the key is how far into the future :)
	i have not seen tapes for my drive for about 6 months now.

	cant speak to that particular model
jmb