Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:20:58 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ktrace output of BSD binary:

Jaye Mathisen writes:

> Short and sweet, but it doesn't tell me anything that I can really use...
>
> # kdump
>   8626 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
>   8626 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xefbfdd83,0xefbfdd44,0xefbfdd4c)
>   8626 ktrace   NAMI  "./asbr"
>   8626 asbr     RET   execve 0
>   8626 asbr     PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL
>   8626 asbr     NAMI  "asbr.core"
>

> Doesn't even look like it really gets fired up.
>
> # file asbr
> asbr: BSD/386 demand paged (first page unmapped) pure ex

There was a problem quite a while ago with BSD/386 executables.  They
accessed something in the startup code (before main) which isn't
(wasn't?) mapped in FreeBSD, a pointer to ps strings (see page 430 of
"Porting UNIX Software", which by chance mentions this very problem.
I thought the problem had been solved a long time ago--what version of
FreeBSD are you running, and what version of BSD/OS did the executable
come with?

Greg