Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 19:20:27 -0500
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I write this SGML stuff?

In article <199606042153.VAA10567@gatekeeper.fsl.noaa.gov> you write:
>Given that we already can go to LaTeX which can go to professionally
>typeset documents, why do we need to also go to troff which can go to
>professionally typeset documents?

Because TeX is soggy and hard to light, producing huge amounts of gibberish
output in which real error messages (which are likely bogus anyway) are
almost impossible to find. Because some people *prefer* the output of
troff/groff. Because Computer Modern doesn't look very nice on 300 dpi
and lower devices and TeX doesn't get along well with Adobe fonts.

(I admire TeX, but I prefer to do so from a distance)