Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:42:18 -0500
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Subject:   Re: serial console + boot blip

In a message written on Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 04:16:07PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> Yes, that's what most of us do. :)  <Enter>~. in tip/cu isn't but so bad, and
> ^E c . in conserver is fairly quick.

No no no.  We need to improve the system! :)

I did some digging.  init does nothing with the terminals, and although
I didn't look I'm going to assume the kernel doesn't given when it's
happening (would happen after the serial port probe, if the kernel was
initializing wrong).

So that leaves getty.  I'm a bit confused here, but it appears getty
(for the console) looks like this:

initialize to getty defaults
initialize to configured values (from gettytab)
log in user

I believe the problem is occuring with the initalize to defaults.  I
think that's causing the port to lower DTR, and hang up the session,
then it gets the gettytab values and is good to go again.

I'm not sure if the defaults are needed for some reason (there are a
lot of oddball terminals out there), but I find it likely the right
thing to do is a single init, that is:

get default values
merge in configured values (from gettytab)
init with default+merged values

getty is a bit, well, cryptic to someone who doesn't normally write
terminal code, is there a getty expert in the house?

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org