Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:15:58 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: old man pages

"Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org> writes:
> i was randomly thinking about how when a make installworld (or the like)_
> is done, it does not take into account old man page versions, does it?  By
> this I mean, things like lkm(4) is pretty damn outdated and unused on a
> 4.x machine and so it's kind of not a necesity to have it installed or
> left as installed (from a previous installworld).  i would want to have
> the lkm(4) man page removed if it was still there from a previous
> installation because it has nothing to do with the current OS context
> (note, lkm(4) was just used as an example).

This problem is not specific to manual pages.  The installworld
process in general doesn't delete anything.  If a program was removed
from the source tree, it will stay there until someone deletes it
manually.  I suppose when someone works out a mechanism to take care
of that, man pages would be included, too.

The problem as I see it with doing something like that is that it
would require old programs to still be listed in some Makefiles.  They
wouldn't be listed as "SUBDIR+=", but "OLDPROG+=" or something like
that.  Okay, so let's say someone implements that.  When do those
lines go away?  Next minor release?  Next major release?  Never?

Just food for thought, I guess.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org