Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 19:07:21 +1300
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvs /default inetd.conf - reassurance please

Hi - I'm in the process of allowing W9x/W2K clients access to the cvs on a
FreeBSD box.

I find that both Tortoise and WinCVS require that the inetd.conf entry for
cvspserver include the --allow-root option. Are there any hidden gotchas in
including this ? I can't find any reference to this option at all in the
FreeBSD man page for cvs but as far as I understand it the option is to
restrict the repositories which can be accessed through cvspserver which
_sounds_ ok ...

I haven't yet done this and I would just like someone to reassure me that it's
an OK thing to do from a FreeBSD point of view.

Whilst I'm here the O'Reilly 'CVS Pocket Ref' says that the cvs server runs
briefly as root when it starts (implying a potential security risk). Because
I'm not having much joy talking to CVS I'm having trouble figuring this out
(with ps I mean) ... does the cvs server start only at boot or every time a
client requests service ?

thanks

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd