Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:45:00 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Tomi.Vainio@Sun.COM
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.or, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ffs_valloc: dup alloc panics with stable/current

> We got old Mylex DAC960PD-Ultra-raid-adapter and have tried to use it
> with FreeBSD 4.2-stable and 5.0-current. Adapter is configured with
> three luns 5+5*9G, 8+8*9G (raid5) and 1+1*2G (mirrored boot disk).
> All 9G disks are quite old Seagate Barracuda 9 disks ST19171W.  System
> is working quite well but under heavier load we start to get scsi
> errors from luns.
> sense = 4 asc = 3 asq = 0
> sense = 1 asc = 3 asq = 0
> sense = 3 asc = 12 asq = 0
> sense = 3 asc = 11 asq = 0

Your disks just aren't up to this sort of workload.

> This is not so bad but 5-30 minutes after this command system will
> always panic.
> cd /uu ; dump 0buf 126 - /w | restore xbf 126 -
>
> mode = 0100644, inum = 720391, fs = /uu
> panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc

This looks like memory or PCI data corruption.  You don't say how you're
generating this load, or what the motherboard is, but I suspect that you
may have hardware issues here.

One question - I assume you're not seeing any read error diagnostics from
the Mylex driver (other than the disk errors?)