Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 03:43:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW comments, and a question...

Any reason the rule increment # can't be changed to something smaller like
10, or 20, rather than 100?  If you add a lot of rules, you can burn up
good size chunk of the available space in a hurry, even though it's pretty
sparsely used.

Maybe a sysctl frob?  (Guess that would depend on when rc.sysctl is read
wrt rc.firewall).

I'm experimenting with the dummynet bandwidth stuff.  A couple minor
issues.

1)  Everything passing through dummynet seems Peachy keeno, except ICMP
traffic seems to pick up 40-50ms of delay, yet there's no delay configured
on anything icmp related.  Normal TCP/UDP traffic is going through fine.

2)  Are all pipe rules scanned before pass/deny rules? Because when
configuring a lot of pipes, there seems to be no way to assign rule
numbers to a pipe, which makes figuring out where pass/deny rules should
go if the number of pipes change.

Other than those issues, it seems to work just peachy.

I do not believe I am on this list, so please CC me in any response.

FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE, compiled a few days ago.