Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:19:42 +0200
From:      Nikolay Pavlov <quetzal@zone3000.net>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel panic on 6.2-RC2 with GENERIC.

On Friday,  5 January 2007 at 18:00:29 -0500, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 06:59:10PM +0200, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
> > Hello folks.
> > I have kernel panic on GENERIC kernel while executing postmark.
>
> What is postmark?
> Can you give the exact sequence of steps used to produce this panic?

Sure:

benchmarks/postmark

PostMark is the benchmark used in the NetApp Technical Report TR-3022,
"PostMark: A New File System Benchmark".  The paper fully explains how
to use this tool.

>From the paper's Abstract:
        Existing file system benchmarks are deficient in portraying
        performance in the ephemeral small-file regime used by Internet
        software, especially:
                * electronic mail
                * netnews
                * web-based commerce

PostMark is a new benchmark to measure performance for this class of
application.

WWW: http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3022.html

root# postmark
PostMark v1.5 : 3/27/01
pm>set number=10000
pm>set transactions=10000
pm>set subdirectories=10000
pm>show
Current configuration is:
The base number of files is 10000
Transactions: 10000
Files range between 500 bytes and 9.77 kilobytes in size
Working directory: /usr/home/quetzal
10000 subdirectories will be used
Block sizes are: read=512 bytes, write=512 bytes
Biases are: read/append=5, create/delete=5
Using Unix buffered file I/O
Random number generator seed is 42
Report format is verbose.

And than:
pm>run

Actualy i can triger this panic even with rm -rf "some dir with many
files" or background fsck after crash. Also i can triger this with rsync
with many (~100G) files.
My system is very unstable with 6.2-RC2 kernel, but with 6.1 kernel
i can't crash it.

Here is successful postmark results for 6.1:

Creating subdirectories...Done
Creating files...Done
Performing transactions..........Done
Deleting files...Done
Deleting subdirectories...Done
Time:
        1196 seconds total
        556 seconds of transactions (17 per second)

Files:
        15027 created (12 per second)
                Creation alone: 10000 files (32 per second)
                Mixed with transactions: 5027 files (9 per second)
        4990 read (8 per second)
        5009 appended (9 per second)
        15027 deleted (12 per second)
                Deletion alone: 10054 files (30 per second)
                Mixed with transactions: 4973 files (8 per second)

Data:
        27.14 megabytes read (23.24 kilobytes per second)
        85.08 megabytes written (72.84 kilobytes per second)

- Best regards, Nikolay Pavlov. <<<-----------------------------------