Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:35:30 -0600
From:      "Sivar" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        "what ever" <thursday@sdf.lonestar.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pentium-4 v. pentium-3

Why not an Athlon?

Pentium 4 is very slow compared to other chips on a clock-for-clock basis.
For example, if you take a 1.3GHz (overclocked) Pentium 3, a 1.3GHz Athlon,
and a 1.3GHz Pentium 4, the Pentium 4 will not even touch the performance of
the other two except in highly specific applications.
In general, the Athlon is faster than the other two both at the same clock
speed and when you consider the price/performance ratio. You might get a
nice Tyan TigerMP motherboard so you can have the option of adding a second
processor in the future.
If you must go with an Intel processor for some reason, here are some things
to consider:

The P4 is highly overpriced, and unless you get a very high end P4 with the
new CPU socket, the system will not be upgradable. (Without some type of
adapter, but those are iffy to use on high frequency processors)
The P3 is going to be dead, officially, next year. Intel is phasing it out,
thus, any P3 system will not be upgradable either.
The price of P3 processors (1GHz and lower) is a MUCH better deal, cost-wise
and performance-wise, than a P4.

If you are using a P2-266, you probably replace your system more often than
you upgrade it, so being able to upgrade may not be a big deal. If that is
the case, I would definitely get a P3 over a P4.
If you want to pay less for a faster, more upgradable platform, you should
consider an AMD Athlon. The new "XP" series of Athlon is a bit expensive,
but that will change soon. For now, the "Thunderbird" series of Athlon is
probably a better deal.

Be sure to get a quality motherboard, like an Asus brand, as well as a good
power supply such as Antec, Seventeam, PC Power & Cooling, etc--no matter
which platform you choose.

Hope this helps