Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:18:52 -0600
From:      "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   "nl" command

I'm new to FreeBSD but not new to Linux/UNIX so bear with me.
I tried using "nl" to number lines in standard out put and I got this:

102 scott@blue: /home/scott > ls -al | ln
usage: ln [-fhinsv] file1 file2
       ln [-fhinsv] file ... directory
       link file1 file2

My question is: what is the "nl" command under FreeBSD used for? I guess
"cat -n" would give the results I'm looking for but what happend to nl
(number lines)?

man nl gives me this (output cut for brevity):

curs_outopts(3X)                                 curs_outopts(3X)

NAME
       clearok,   idlok,   idcok   immedok,  leaveok,  setscrreg,
       wsetscrreg, scrollok, nl, nonl - curses output options

SYNOPSIS
       #include <curses.h>

       int clearok(WINDOW *win, bool bf);
       int idlok(WINDOW *win, bool bf);
       void idcok(WINDOW *win, bool bf);
       void immedok(WINDOW *win, bool bf);
       int leaveok(WINDOW *win, bool bf);
       int setscrreg(int top, int bot);
       int wsetscrreg(WINDOW *win, int top, int bot);
       int scrollok(WINDOW *win, bool bf);
       int nl(void);
       int nonl(void);

DESCRIPTION
       These routines set options that change the style of output
       within  curses.   All  options are initially FALSE, unless
       otherwise stated.  It  is  not  necessary  to  turn  these
       options off before calling endwin