Date:      Sat, 07 Mar 1998 10:54:09 +0100
From:      User Marko Marko Schuetz <marko@cs.uni-frankfurt.de>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        marko@cs.uni-frankfurt.de, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio0: X events for device with no tp

From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 15:44:11 -0800

> > I was using 2.2.5+PAO and am running -stable now. The PCCARD modem I
> > use is a Megahertz XJ3288i.
> >
> > When I insert the modem it is correctly identified
> >
> > Mar  7 00:25:13 kinetic /kernel: Card inserted, slot 0
> > Mar  7 00:25:24 kinetic /kernel: sio1: type 16550A
> >
> > and I have iijppp configured to automatically start at modem
> > insertion. BUT unless I disable sio0 at boot I get
> >
> > Mar  7 00:09:28 kinetic /kernel: sio1: type 16550A
> > Mar  7 00:09:50 kinetic /kernel: sio0: 64 events for device with no tp
>
> Do you only get these if you have first run Windows/DOS?

There is no such thing on this machine.

> What sort of laptop are you using?  Does it have an internal serial
> port?

It is a Portege 610CT and does have one internal serial port, one
internal printer port and the docking adapter.

> The messages are artifacts from the FIFO probe, but they show up too
> late, which normally means your serial interface works in an odd fashion.
>
> > when I try to use the modem. It does work, but the "events with no tp"
> > seem to make transfers very slow.
>
> If the modem is actually showing up on sio0, then it's possible that
> things are conflicting.  Have you tried changing the configuration to
> move it to another port address?

Ok, this is the hint I seemed to need: In the kernel configuration I
have:

sio0 at 0x3f8 irq 4
sio1 at 0x2f8 irq 3

But the default (0x1) configuration for the modem had it at 0x3f8.
I changed ætc/pccard.conf to use configuration 0x3 which uses 0x2f8
and the problem seems to be solved.

Thank you very much

Marko