Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:53:23 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        MisteraSturno@worldnet.att.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can you recommend...

Gan Starling writes:
> Can you recommend a short list, by MAKE & MODEL of off-the-shelf
> low-to-mid priced LAPTOP computers from any internet or
> bricks-and-mortar source? Vendors like Gateway have contracts with
> Microsoft and won't admit of anything Unix-ish.
>
> I wish to first buy a supported laptop and then install FreeBSD on it.
>
> I have the list of supported devices, but I don't trust the sales staff
> of any store...for good and sufficient reason based upon sad past
> experience.

Faced with a similar desire I ordered an Apple Titanium Powerbook G4
and have preordered MacOS X. All after a brief couple of hours with
MacOS X Public Beta convincing myself "This really is Unix."

Am expecting all the advantages of Unix plus all the advantages of a
commercially supported consumer OS.

My new Powerbook is really nice. http://www.apple.com/powerbook/

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net