Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 1994 07:58:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Real Time Extensions on -current

Is anyone else working, or thinking about working, or wanting to
work, on real time extensions for FreeBSD or running a Mach kernel
in a FreeBSD context?

I can identify two paths to follow:

1. Use the mk83i real time mach distribution together with the
Helsinki University of Technology Lites work to get a real time
mach environment working in the FreeBSD context.

2. Use orthogonal kernel extensions to implement enough of a real
time environment to do useful work, and gradually extend it.  The
kind of thing I have in mind here is two level interrupts to reduce
latency, seeking out anywhere interrupts are off, adding a real
time schedular and a real time process class, add a "real time
fault" that would kick in whenever a process did anything not real
time safe (non-real time system safe system call, single level
interrupt, alarm call during real time, etc). Initially you could
write real time drivers that would execute in the kernel preempting
normal kernel activity (thus requiring the orthogonality) and able
to signal and ready real time preocesses.

I'm working on "1.". The knowledge required is beyond what most
BSD hackers have and the startup overhead just to get to the point
of knowing everything that is involved is fairly great.

"2" is a hack but easier to get your hands around and you can get
to the point that you have something usable quickly (I actually
did a hack version back in the patchkit days and used it successfully
in some control experiments we did).

I'd appreciate thoughts, knowledgable comments, and information
from anyone who is interested in this subject.  I'll save up names.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936