Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:11:39 -0500
From:      "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
To:        Jill Rhoads <jrhoads@lector.kth.se>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *.*.mk problem

On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 10:16:24PM +0100, Jill Rhoads wrote:
> Version: 3-stable
>
> I know that this is a problem that many seem to have, but I just can't
> seem to solve it.
>
> I had problems with my ports collection complaining about
> bsd.port.post.mk  and bsd.port.pre.mk.  So after reading through the
> earlier problems where someone had suggested that the upgrades patched
> might be good idea I used pkg_add and put in 3.0 to 3.0-stable upgrade
> kit.  But now my parts collection is completely shot and I get the
> following error:
>
> >"/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2: Could not find
> >/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
> >make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>
> and indeedy when i look at bsd.port.mk it says that it wants to go to
> the Mk directory in ports.
>
> My question is is obviously what to do?
>
> (Please any suggestions to getting certain files would be much more
> helpful to me if someone actually pointed out where they were. )

It look like you may need to update your ports tree.

I've noticed a link on the http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ that allows
to you to download the whole tree
(ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports.tar.gz),
although I haven't tried this route.

I usually use cvsup. If you need info on cvsup, see
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook273.html#cvsup.

If you do choose cvsup, you may want to make use of the example
ports-supfile under /usr/share/examples/cvsup. It's a good idea to
edit the file and have cvsup connect to cvsup2.freebsd.org or
cvsup3.freebsd.org instead of the default `cvsup.freebsd.org', as
cvsup.freebsd.org is often heavily loaded.

Chuck