Date:      Thu, 09 Jun 2011 07:21:02 -0400
From:      reese@adeptscience.com
Subject:   Re: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

Not a switch but I have had a router and two PCs just die in the last
year.  I know the agony of having to restore things that weren't
broken as I went through that with the router.  I hate to have to fix
things that I broke trying to find out what was broke, as bad as
having to rewrite code after you have a working system and
your drive fails without a backup.

This to shall pass.

Charlie

On 9 Jun 2011 at 3:45, Bill Tillman wrote:

> Sent: Wed, June 8, 2011 8:56:59 PM
> Subject: Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>
>

> Well, people,
>
> It's been a long, long century.=A0 I've been down for 5 days.
> Couldn't understand _why_ I couldn't ping anywhere [expect the
> Server itself].=A0 Finally, tho, it became more and more likely that
> my FreeBSD was fine ... even tho I kept stripping the most likely
> problem points.=A0 My large 16-port LinkSys router was either *it* or
> it was some kind of bug unknown to geekdom.=A0 After a friend bought
> me a new (and tiny) 8-port switch, yes!=A0 I could ping everywhere.=A0
>
> I'm still bringing back the dozens of things I removed from ethic.
> And testing new ideas.=A0 But I have a general question: have any of
> you wizards who run your own domains or otherwise use a switch [or
> hub] *ever* had it just-quit?!=A0 It is solid-state.=A0 Yes, the box is
> within my feet/foot reach.=A0 I have accidently kicked it i suppose,
> but still.=A0
>
> After wandering in the wilderness for 5 days, <<mmph>>, dunno.=A0
>
> gary
>
> PS: yes, this is a serious question.=A0 1) I like things-Cisco, and
> LinkSys.=A0 I just bought this switch about 2.5 years ago, so I really
> am looking for feedback.
>
> PPS:=A0 Another question to ask about upgrading is next.
>

> --
> Gary Kline=A0 kline@thought.org=A0 http://www.thought.org=A0 Public Serv=
ice Unix
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.=
org
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 The 8.51a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thoug=
ht.org

org"

> Good to hear you're back on line. But to answer your question about part=
s going
> bad. I haven't had much go bad on me in the last 10 years but back in th=
e 1990's
> when I was doing pure IT work and was making lots of purchases of parts =
I did.
> Now you have to remember that back then a 28.8 modem cost $375 and cell =
phones
> were only in the hands of the very rich and very important. I could buy =
parts
> and sometimes find them defective out of the box. Others would work fine=
.

> Today, I haven't bought many new components because everything is workin=
g. My
> switch has been operating fine for the last five years. I replaced my Fr=
eeBSD
> sever a few years ago. It was a P166 with 96MB RAM and it had been runni=
ng
> almost non-stop, 24/7 for 12 years. But then I had another machine right=
 next to
> it that I built in 2002 and it whimped out only a couple of years later =
and I
> hardly ever ran that machine.
>

> In today's world, I would say that the majority of the parts you buy wil=
l be
> good to go, but that's why parts only come with a 90 or 1 year warranty.=
 The