Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:51:28 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        "Ingram, Russell" <RI122065@exchange.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, "RFI@home" <RFI@home.com>
Subject:   Re: kern/12979: Response time continually slows on idle machine, PIII processors on version 3.2

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 12:38:40PM -0700, "Ingram, Russell" <RI122065@exchange.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM> wrote:

> After looking into this problem I find that tit is quite different then it
> originally appeared to be. It appears that the Ethernet connection response
> slows in a shorter time then the console login. So I changed out the SMC
> 83c170 Ethernet board that uses the tx0 driver with an Intel Ethernet board
> that uses the fxp0 driver. I ran a test over the three day weekend and the
> problem appears to have disappeared. I'll confer back on this latter after
> we have more cook time on it.
>
> In the mean time it appears that the problem Synopsys needs to be changed to
> : SMC 83C170 Ethernet controller using tx driver slows and stops machine
> after days of Ethernet traffic.

What I have seen is the card does lots of interrupts after three-four
hours of workload in some machines. I've seen more than 70000 ints and
my onboard SCSI response time went very slow. The machine was idle, as
in your case. I personally blame the tx driver for all the faults as the
card works very well under NetBSD. Under FreeBSD the autonegotiation
doesn't work  reliably, opposed to NetBSD. Perhaps the MII bus from
NetBSD will help, unfortunately the tx driver wasn't converted yet.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee