Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:12:07 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Barbish3@adelphia.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fetch fails, ftp works question

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:40:12 -0500
"JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net> wrote:

> FBSD Friend

Thanks for your time,

> Since the fetch command does function for you, but some times you
> get this message,
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>
> The "file not found" part you know is not true, because you have
> used the same command where it does get the same named package.
> SO it must be the "no access" part of the message that has meaning
> for this execution of the command.
>
> That means that the FTP server you are using is busy right them when
> you are trying to access it. Like in max users exceeded.  Those FTP
> servers are being beat on right now by people trying to get the bug
> infested 5.2 .iso files.

>From that machine's inetd.conf:
ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/libexec/ftpd	ftpd -d -l -l -t 120 -T 120

and I don't remember setting any other limits, in other places.

> I know the error message is not very clear, but that 's what it
> means in your case. Bottom line is since the fetch command works
> some times, it can not be fetch command syntax, ether the targeted
> server is busy and just try again in 10 seconds, or the you have the
> package name typed wrong and it's really not found as you have it
> spelled.

The second can be, as it is a part of make fetch && make checksum from a
script.

> The package names with the version number appended as an suffix is
[..]
> link file commands.

I'm talking about distfiles, not packages, so that is not the problem.
There can be cases when my host has a newer distinfo the the server, but
I've triple-checked that it is not the case here.

> One other gotya,  for native FBSD without any FTP environment
> overrides, ftp defaults to active mode and fetch ftp defaults to
> passive mode.

>From ftp(1) it defaults to passive. But fetch defaults indeed to active,
so this could be a reason; I still don't understand why it works on some
ports and not on others.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user