Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:14:42 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jim@osd.bsdi.com, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported hardware list(s)

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 09:41:45AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> First, there are actually six different places where we list hardware:
> The install chapter in the handbook, the appendix in the handboox, src/
> release/texts/HARDWARE.TXT, src/release/texts/i386/RELNOTES.TXT, src/
> release/texts/alpha/ RELNOTES.TXT, and src/release/texts/alpha/
> HARDWARE.TXT.  The "generic" HARDWARE.TXT and the platform-specific
> RELNOTES.TXT files are probably the two that get updated the most
> frequently; the alpha-specific HARDWARE.TXT file deals with which alpha
> hardware platforms we can run on.  Note that some of these files are
> even organized differently (i.e. section headers, etc.).  It's ugly, and
> I'll freely assume my share of the blame for making it so.
>
> > Here's what I propose:
> >
> >    1) Nuke the hardware compatibility appendix.  It's quite out of date,
> >       and since no one has taken an interest in "claiming" it as their
> >       own, we should get rid of it.
>
> Well, it's out of date, but at least on first glimpse, it appears to
> have some useful information that isn't found anywhere else in our
> documentation.

Interesting info, but we need to do some copyright cleanup on it.  In
particular, we need to go back to the original authors for everything
that's got a copyright statement, and either get their permission to
relicense it, or yank it.

[ IMHO -- I don't really want to get in to a licensing discussion, but I
  do think that the doc/ tree should be under the two clause license. ]

> > I'm interested in hearing what others think -- I know there are a lot of
> > folks who'd like to see one hardware list, and I'm one of them :-)
> > Comments?
>
> I think the end goal is a good one.  I was working on this issue from a
> slightly different angle.  I talked with a few people at BSDCon about
> the subject of fixing up the *.TXT files, specifically, doing them up in
> DocBook.  The goal of this exercise would be to produce a smaller set of
> files for the release notes (e.g. one file total, not one per platform)
> and hardware lists which is customized when output is generated to apply
> to different plaforms.  Also, we could do "better looking" release notes
> in PDF, PS, HTML, TXT, and so forth, possibly with some help from the
> stylesheet gurus amongst us.

Also, we can do this

    http://www.BSDI.COM/products/internet/hardware/

(web based interactive hardware database).

> I got some weak agreement to this idea, then I went off and did some
> DocBook coding, and then got bogged down in Real Work (TM).  (Note:  I'm
> still in that mode.)  I've put a snapshot of my work at:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes.tar.gz

Looks like a good start.

> I still haven't figured out the ramifications for the release-building
> process yet; it looks like this makes having release notes dependent on
> both a doc tree plus the DocBook toolchain.

True.

> Someone (dougb?) suggested
> putting a placeholder RELNOTES.TXT in src/ release/texts/${arch} that
> gets overwritten by the "real" release notes if we actually generate
> them.

Also a good idea.

> Other things I'm stalled on:  Lack of time (of course), and experience
> at doing the SGML markup.  Also the myriads of hardware info lists would
> need to be consolidated.  Finally, the doc tree as it stands is not
> branched (a la CVS), but putting release notes in the doc tree would
> mandate it.  (Putting it in the src tree doesn't automatically solve
> the problem, because I think there's some dependencies on some files,
> such as style sheets or entity definitions, that only live in the doc
> tree.)

I don't really want to see the doc/ tree branched.  However, the
osversion* attributes should let us support this, and I have some
experimental support for this working right now.  I'll send a separate
message out for that.  Then there's no need to branch.

> So...if we got this to work, one thing the handbook *could* do would be
> just to include some version of this file.  But on the other hand, maybe
> it could just point to the end product of this thing I've been tinkering
> with.

I don't think it matters too much whether or not the Handbook includes
it or links to it.  As long as it's all available in one place.