Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 2015 11:26:58 -0400
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: public network traffic to my ip address port 53

Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Ernie,
>

>> In my firewall log I see thousands of udp packets from ip addresses all
>> over the word trying to access my freebsd gateway server on port 53.
>> Right now I am blocking them and see no negative effects.
>> Is there any valid reason to allow these unsolicited inbound packets
>> access to my system on port 53?
>>

> You know port 53 is DNS?
>
> Maybe your IP was previously used by a DNS server.
>
> If you bloc port 53, you may consider leaving it open enough to be able
> to solve your own DNS requests.
>
> Olivier

I have been running this home server for 15 years and have never had a
dsn server.
Last time I scrutinized  my firewall log was 2 plus years ago and I did
not have all this unsolicited inbound dns traffic.
To me it looks like a search for dos targets. To my knowledge dsn
servers DON'T  roll through pubic IP address  ranges looking for other
dsn servers.
So I ask the question again "Is there any valid reason to allow these
unsolicited inbound packets access to my system on port 53?".