Date:      Sat, 15 Oct 2011 21:43:47 +0200
From:      Florian Wagner <florian@wagner-flo.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Extending zfsboot.c to allow selecting filesystem from boot.config

--Sig_/NAIlwJKcT31XX0+ohyvgNvt

Hi,

from looking at the code in sys/boot/i386/zfsboot/zfsboot.c the ZFS
aware boot block already allows to select pool to load the kernel from
by adding <POOL>:<FILE TO BOOT> to the boot.config. As this code calls
the zfs_mount_pool function it will look for the bootfs property on the
new pool or use its root dataset to get the file from there.

How much work would it be to extend the loader to also allow selecting
a ZFS filesystem?

What I'd like to do is place a boot.config on the (otherwise empty) root
of my system pool and then tell it to get the loader from another
filesystem by putting "rpool/root/stable-8-r226381:/boot/zfsloader" in
there.

Regards
Florian Wagner