Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 20:56:56 -0700
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman (was: So what happens to FreeBSD now?)
References:  <4.3.2.7.2.20010703141550.045f5340@localhost> <20010626174756.A61831@blackhelicopters.org> <200106260901.AA23134284@stmail.pace.edu> <20010626122845.A11960@xor.obsecurity.org> <20010626214230.D461@canyon.nothing-going-on.org> <20010626174756.A61831@blackhelicopters.org> <20010702211810.B325@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com> <4.3.2.7.2.20010703141550.045f5340@localhost> <20010705123729.M371@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com> <4.3.2.7.2.20010705125211.04638740@localhost>

On Thursday,  5 July 2001 at 12:55:07 -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 11:37 AM 7/5/2001, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> (and plagiarized me in a recent column while doing so).
>>
>> No, I quoted you verbatim.
>
> Without attribution. Quoting without attribution is plagiarism.

No, quoting is never plagiarism as long as it's an obvious quote, as
in this case.  Plagiarism is the act of claiming that one has written
a text which has really been written by somebody else.  I was
criticizing your stance (not for the first time, and obviously not for
the last), so it's pretty clear that I wasn't claiming it as my own
work (which would have been counterproductive) nor as a satire (which
would have been less effective).  I personally felt ashamed for you,
which is why I didn't mention your name, but it seems that this
feeling of shame was misplaced.  You'll note that I *did* provide a
link to the original discussion, so anybody who wasn't bored to tears
by the topic could have confirmed that it was, indeed, you who wrote
the text.

If you wish, the next time I find reason to quote you in Daemon's
Advocate, I shall mention you by name.  It would read something like
this:

  In a previous issue of "Daemon's advocate", I have quoted a
  representative of the rabid fringe of BSD advocacy.  Out of my own
  interpretation of a feeling of decency, I did not mention the name
  of the person in question, though I did include a link to the
  discussion for anybody who was sufficiently interested.

  The person in question, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, was offended
  by the lack of attribution, and claims that it constitutes
  plagiarism.  I apologize for this misunderstanding.  It was never my
  intention to claim that his views were my own--indeed, it was very
  much my intention to claim that his views were *not* my own.  In
  addition, I had no intention of obfuscating his identity.  However,
  if I had at some time made such comments, I would be grateful if
  nobody rubbed my nese in them.

  In this issue, I again find it necessary to disagree strongly with
  Brett's viewpoint.  I will not make the same mistake I made before:
  it was Brett who said:

     <GPL is the Antichrist> (hypothetical text)

Would you prefer something like that?  If not, what would you like
changed?

> The editors of Daemon News should not have allowed any such thing to
> a occur, as it is fundamentally unethical.  In the scientific and
> technical community, such a breach of ethics is generally sufficient
> to disqualify someone from publishing -- and certainly from being a
> spokesperson.

Normally I would ask for a clarification of this statement.  In this
case, however, based on previous experience, please don't attempt to
clarify.

Greg