Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 19:47:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        lindgren@istudio.no (Simon Lindgren)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a PPRO

> Does FreeBSD (2.1.6R) take full potential of a Pentium PRO?
> Will there be a significant speed-increase when upgrading from a
> regular pentium of same speeds?
>
> Some insight would be appreciated.

We have P5/166 here and one P6/200 and the first results when people
compiled their large physics programs (which are doing very little disk i/o)
were disappointing.

They ran some Monte Carlos over 20 hours and it turned out that one
P5/166 was slightly faster than tha P6/200 (!).

I then brought pgcc on the PPRO and recompiled all libm (msun)
with  -O2 -ffast-math -m486 and linked the program statically.

With this program then we went on the two machines and the PPro/200
(256K cache) turned out to be 1.5 time faster than th P5/166.

I wonder where I might squeeze out the last microseconds. Perhaps
carefully selecting the bzero optimization?