Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2000 10:59:29 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remote ip

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 00:27 +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:

> > And even if it's not the *default*, there's no problem in
> > using HISADDR for "route" commands in ppp.link{up,down}.
> > It's just that the default route is a somewhat special
> > example ...
>
> He was talking about isp0, not userland ppp. I don't see what
> you mean with HISADDR in this context, could you please
> explain?

Oops, then drop my message.  I'm not fluent with anything other
than ppp(8).  I just read "how to get the if address (most
probably for routing corrections / additions) with dyn ips" and
confused it with what I have here -- since I could never imagine
why I should do PPP in kernel space.

Where can I read more about the reasoning to use kernel space ppp
except for "doing what I got used to do" or "I don't care, both
suffice and one of them is smaller"?  What are the advantages?
Is it that more efficient in scenarios userland ppp cannot handle
any longer?  There must be a reason to "buy" the lower
functionality ...  (no intent to flush isp or to discourage its
authors, but the will to learn the motivation)

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net