Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:43:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.0 RELEASE -> 4.0 STABLE = panic!

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	I am upgrading my laptop from 3.4 STABEL to 4.0 STABLE.
>
> 	Installed .0 ELEASSE from the CD, cvsuped REL_ENG4. did a "make world"
> 	and the system panics on boot :-(

The typical cause of this is out of date modules (which are built as part
of make world, not part of the kernel build on 4.0) - i.e. modules which
are not built from exactly the same sources as the kernel was. The
linux.ko module seems particularly sensitive to this.

OTOH, the instructions you posted do seem correct (except for the addition
of mergemaster, already noted)

Kris