Date:      23 Mar 2002 14:27:07 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blanking & burning cd's

Denny White <dennyboy@cableone.net> writes:

> Running fbsd 4.5 stable. Had burncd working
> great with my HP 9700 cd-writer, but then
> it quit working & there was a sale on a
> 24x10x40 CenDyne cd-writer & I bought it &
> installed it. Works fine with Nero in my
> windoze system, & I can mount cd's on it in
> fbsd, but when I try to blank a cd, I get
>
> acd0: SET_SPEED - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=24

I've been using a slower CenDyne on FreeBSD for about a year (burning
only about once a month) and I haven't seen your error, but I've lately
had to sometimes try burning the same disk several times to get it to
run to completion.  My boot msg:

    acd0: CD-RW <8X4X32> at ata1-master using PIO4

I think rebuilding your kernel won't help.  You could try setting speeds
other than your highest 10; maybe the driver only goes to 8 (and
obviously I've only used 4 and less).  I hope you're not trying to
"blank" a CD-R or use a speed of 24.

If you get desperate, and don't mind a "learning process", read the mail
archives of freebsd-stable (or -questions?) in the last week to find a
patch which allows use of "cdrecord" with ATAPI devices.