Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2001 10:06:06 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John <warendaj@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Not so much a question ...

John wrote:

>     While I realize it's completely logical .. the process by which this all
> took place .. I have to ask honestly how many of us would have sifted
> through the Makefile to look for dependancies ... and then through those
> Makefile's for their dependancies ... and so on?

	One simple way to at least get an idea of what you're facing is to type
'make clean' in the directory of the port you want to install. Meanwhile,
one of the byproducts of us giving you the whole package, source and
everything is that when people come to us and say, "I didn't know it would
do that!" we don't have a lot of sympathy. :)

Good luck,

Doug
--
    "The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and
     to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."