Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:48:40 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
> Can anyone reference any actual law on "contamination" by code which
> is just available to the infringer, rather than being known to be in his
> hands?

The closest example is the "deep reverse engineering" claim in the
Microsoft vs. Stack Technologies lawsuit, where someone at Stack
figured out that Windows looked for a specifically named ".BIN"
file for the FS compression driver, and loaded it before everything
else.

It's interesting in this context, since clean room coding is still
legal, and this was the only way they had to attack it: they could
not successfully claim contamination through availability.

In the Open Source sector, RMS made a claim against the crypto
library based on (in effect) "interface copyright", making the
infringing code "code built to use this interface unique to GPL'ed
code, and therefore a derivative work of the GPL'ed code".  The
claim was withdrawn, after they wrote their own consumer of the
interface to the crypto library (effectively, writing the other
half of the equation themselves), making the interface exist in
more than GPL'ed code, making the argument RMS put forth impossible
to substantiate.

I think both these cases argue against the idea that you could
successfully prosecute on the basis of a publically available
reference implementation existing -- one might make the same
argument for "Lesstif" vs. Motif, and it's well documented (in
their mailing list archives) that the Lesstif people used Motif
header files and namelists from the Motif libraries to do their
engineering.

Now it's entirely possible for there to be nuisance lawsuits,
which might even win based on a preponderance of evidence, which
is manufactured through a preponderance of money.

But it is unlikely in the extreme, I think, in this case, given
the bad publicity of supposedly making code public as a reference
implementation, and then crying foul when someone actually uses
it as a reference implementation.

-- Terry