Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:22:19 -0700
From:      Collins <erichey2@attbi.com>
To:        bsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIC fails - dc0: couldn't map ports.memory

I had a functional FreeBSD 4.4 system running on my prior computer
(K6/II 300Mz), but now I've switched to a new computer (P3/800Mz) and I
can't get it to work.

I tried 4.4 (even built my own kernel) and now 4.5 with the same
results.

I have a multi-boot system.  Win98 on Slice 1, FreeBSD on Slice 2, and
several Linux partitions on extend partitions on the disk.  I use grub
to boot.

Eveything about the FreeBSD install works perfectly, except my NIC card.
 The card shows up as an ADMtek Commet rev 17.  It is on IRQ 11 (shared
with USB).  Linux drives the card with the "tulip" module, and it works
perfectly.

During install I selected the Ne1K, Ne2K,.... driver, but the card was
not seen - I didn't get an ethernet choice for network configuration
(same results with 4.4 and 4.5.  After boot of the GENERIC kernel, the
kernel produces messages	dc0: couldn't map ports/memory
	dc0 attach returned 6
On 4.4 I tried compiling a kernel with the de driver (which advertises
to be a "tulip" driver, but the card doesn't even appear - no messages
at all.

When I searched the archives for this message, no one had provided much
in the way of an answer.  The only recommendation was to alter the BIOS
to Plug-and-Play NO.  Unfortunately, my BIOS does not have such an
option.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  Without a working NIC, I
can't get to my LAN and thus to the internet, so I would have to forget
about using FreeBSD.

Thanks,
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD?
Gentoo_rc6-15 2.4.17 - xfce + sylpheed + mozilla