Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:14:03 +0000
From:      "Edward Gess" <edward_gess@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mysterious output of "df" utility...

  Hello,
  When I am using "df" utility to find out my disk usage info., I am getting
  stange output, i.e. the size is much smaller that should be!
  For example: during FreeBSD installation I gave for my root ("/") slice
  50MB after installation with "df" utility I am getting that my root slice
  is < 50MB!!! Why??? More to that, when comparing "Used" and "Avail"
fields,
  there much confusing thing! Logically the sum of "Used" and "Avail" must
be
  equal to size of the slice, but it is much smaller than 50MB!!!
  If I would set "S" as a "Size" field of "df -h" output, "U" - "Used" and
  "A" - "Avail", so "S" is < than size of slice I've chosen during install.
  and "U" + "A" is < that "S", so I am loosing my free space!!! Please
explain me
  this mysterious understanding of my space by "df" utility...
  Thanks.