Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:02:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        "Ekaterina N. Ivannikova" <kate@forsys.msk.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewall/router setup?

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Ekaterina N. Ivannikova wrote:

> Sure. But it would be far worse if the system thought there was swap
> space somewhere and counted on it. If I can not find a correct way of
> telling it there is no swap available, I'd prefer to fool it this way.
> After all memory is always finit, swap or no swap.

Yeah... As always, you will have to try it to see if it really helps :-)

> I downloaded build scripts for PicoBSD 0.31 and all conf files include a
> line:
> config 		kernel root on wd0a swap on wd0a
>
> What does 'swap on wd0a' mean ? Will the kernel expect to find an IDE
> disk with a swap area ? Or will it be meaningless until a swapon is issued ?

This magic incantation was taken from GENERIC config file, and as far as
my knowledge goes is obsolete and not needed [*]. I _think_ it tells
kernel your preference... I'll remove it to avoid misunderstanding.

[*] except in one case when it reads "swaps on generic" (notice "swaps",
not "swap" :-((( ) and tells config(8) to include procedures to mount root
on arbitrary chosen slices... Its name is totally misleading :-((

 Andrzej Bialecki