Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:23:46 -0400
From:      John Sellens <jsellens@uunet.ca>
To:        jdp@polstra.com, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High-resolution displays

| To: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
| cc: freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
| Subject: Re: High-resolution displays
| Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 03:44:58 -0400
| From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
|
| > I want to set up a laptop running FreeBSD to use when I'm working out
| > of town.  My main use for it will probably be to connect to my office
| > network using PPP and access my e-mail.  I want to run X11 on it, and
| > I'd like to have 1024x768 or better resolution (ideally), or at least
| > 800x600.  I need it to have an ethernet interface too, for when I'm
| > at home.  I don't care about CD-ROM drives or any sort of multimedia.
|
| I would be inclined to suggest that you should look at the high-end
| Toshiba systems, based on my recent experiences.

I'll echo Mike's Toshiba suggestion.  I'm very happy with my
Toshiba Tecra 740CDT (1024x768, 3GB, 32MB, CD, floppy), and
XFree86 works great (after I tweaked the timings to be a bit
faster).  Two minor problems -- my 3Com 3C589D sometimes fails
to resume after a suspend, and the current sound drivers don't
suspend and resume well, so I can't play CDs after a suspend/resume.
As I said, minor problems.  (It is a little heavier than average,
but I don't find that a big problem.)

Of course, I didn't have to pay for it :-)

John
jsellens@uunet.ca