Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:06:02 -0800
From:      David Herman <ob1@yifan.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: does FREEBSD work with either "Partition Magic" or "Boot Magi  c" b y Power Quest?

On Monday 18 March 2002 01:12 am, HODGE, DAVE (SBCSI) wrote:
> I'm trying to utilize one boot method for many various OS systems
> that I need to run for evaluation. What I'm trying to find out is do
> you know if the Power Quest product  "Partition Magic" or "Boot
> Magic" have been successfully used with FREEBSD OS? If yes, how were
> the products utilized?

I use boot magic (from Partition Magic5 bundle) to boot freeBSD just
fine. I had linux, qnx, BeOS and winders installed and booting w/ Boot
Magic  before installing freeBSDand just had to tell freeBSD not to
overwrite the mbr when I installed it.

You may run into trouble if you try booting from diferent bsd kernels
in the same partition/slice, this could probably be circumvented by
telling freeBSD to put its boot manager in the correct place. I haven't
gotten that far yet.

Partition Magic 5 won't write BSD slices but can be used to free up
disk space.

good luck.
--
dh