Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:38:55 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving FreeBSD towards glibc (or: FreeBSD and Hurd/Mach)

> are there plans to replace FreeBSD's libc with GNU glibc in the near
> or medium future? Linux moved also from it's own libc5 to glibc (=libc6)
> some time ago and it may be useful to do the same in FreeBSD too.

Nope.  The license for glibc is not one we'd want to use for such a
core component (which is less optional than, say, grep) nor does our
libc lack for the kinds of features which would make switching
necessary.

Those wishing to play with the HURD under FreeBSD can simply add glibc
to the list of components they need to bring over; they needs of the
few do not outweigh the needs of the many in this case. :)

- Jordan