Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 21:11:34 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trigger for received PPP packets?

I asked this question once before a week or so ago, and didn't get a great
response about it, so I'll try it from a different angle.

I'm playing with serial device X, for which the driver is in a prototype
stage... Its working fine, except for receiving PPP packets. Basically
the data is being stowed in the clists via the l_rint routine. The problem
that I'm seeing is that a received packet is taking quite a long time
(roughly 100 - 150ms) to get processed. A ping, for instance, on a 115200
serial link, takes about 347-380ms round trip. Using 16550s, it takes about
47-80ms round trip. Connecting the device to a 16550 yields fast throughput
from board to 16550, but much slower from 16550 to the device (hence why
I believe its the receive side).

Is there anything that needs to be done in the receive code at some point
(ie - end of packet, each character, etc) that needs to be done to speed
this up? Thanks.
	-brian