Date:      29 Oct 1999 23:57:18 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing, win95, etc

"Shannon Wheeler" <swheeler@altech.ab.ca> writes:

> Yeah, I figured it was more of a Win95 question but I also figured I
> would be liklier to find a higher level of expertise here than in most
> WinXX groups. I also figured there are quite likely some unix experts
> who also know a thing or two about WinXX networking.
> </asskissing>

Not a truly logical assertion the last one.  I haven't seen how the
Windows networking works -- not at all -- since the last time I used
something Win', Windows did not *do* internet things.

And it's not like knowing about Unix networking is actually going to be
of any use in the Win' world.  I have tried helping a friend, but my
lack of experience with Windows was really obvious.

> Assume the FreeBSD box was the dual-homed unit. What would be the
> route command to enable the routing from the isolated 10.7.1 network
> to the main 10.7.7 net?

Assuming that BSD has the address 10.7.0.1 in the internal network, then
the only setting needed in Windows is to set the 'gateway' to this
address.  In BSD, you ought to set up ip-firewalling and packet
forwarding, which is described in various places, the handbook and the
faq providing some good starting points.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]